Knitmare got Boinged!
Posted by episode81 on August 9, 2010
I was hoping for a decent traffic spike.
On a typical day, I get less than 50 hits – my best day ever only resulted in 180 hits. I don’t know what I was expecting, but what I got wasn’t it. Knitmare got picked up by all sorts of unexpected blogs and forums – apparently, knitting unusual balaclavas appeals to people who cruise porn sites. Who knew?
Anywho, I digress …
I posted Knitmare on AnywhoIdigress at 8.24am and submitted it to Boing Boing’s Submitterator at 9.34am. BB gets about 60 or so submissions every day. I wasn’t expecting a quick response. I got posted in 10 minutes!!
I confess that I spent Wednesday morning just looking at my site traffic spike 😀 And spike it did.
On Wednesday I got 5890 hits. Woot! I’d call that a spike. Thursday was 3632, Friday 1102 and Saturday 380. Not too shabby.
It wasn’t just Knitmare that was popular, although it took the lion’s share of the hits. 5 people actually read the entire blog – every single post.
The spread of referring sites surprised me. I plotted four days in the charts below. My excel-fu is not strong. Apologies.
Interesting things to note:
- Knitmare was almost immediately cross-posted on a knitting forum – ravelry.com. I am a member there, so I followed the discussion. It turns out that the designer of the balaclavas is also a member. A much loved member. Most folks saw it for what it was – a creepy picture. Others not so much, causing a moderator to call a time out to admonish posters for criticizing another members work. As the originator, I offer the designer nothing but my respect. Rosa commented that perhaps the designer took inspiration from knitted masks from Bolivia and Peru. I would say yes.
- The top referrers transitioned over four days from BB to Ravelry to Lankarkiv. Lankarkiv is new to me.
- I made it to #1 in the WordPress Growing Blog of the Day on August 5th. I came in at #52 and #93 in the Top Post of the day on August 6th and 7th.
- I am not on facebook or twitter. That should be the subject of a future post.
- As I mentioned above, one of the referrers was a porn site. The site is all porn pics (well, I didn’t check them all!) and one knitting pattern. Very, very odd. Perhaps knitting is getting it’s sexy back?
PS Too much time on my hands? Hey, it was the weekend!